We have lost the awe of God. We are awe-less.
This is terrifying to me. How can kneeling before the creator of the universe have become so humdrum? So banal? So meaningless? So everyday?
Oh yeah – I know how this all came about:
- it is because on TV the movie special effects are so cool. How can the glory of a natural sunset compare to Terminator II?
- or it is because Darwin has explained everything away in terms of natural selection of survival of the fittest. I’ve survived therefore I’m the fittest (and the rest of you don’t matter).
- or it is because Freud dismissed my neurological synapses as being generated by repressed fears, or obsessions, or both. And in addition my reality is now a mere figment of somebody else’s imagination.
The harsh irony remains that our society’s economic wealth has afflicted us with a poverty of genuine emotion. We’re all like dead men walking: unable to feel anything. Our only remedy is to tap into TV’s ready made emotions: and to pipe them into our very bedrooms.
- If I want to laugh – I’ll watch some comedies.
- If I want to cry – I’ll watch some soaps. Or Oprah.
- If I want to feel outrage – I’ll watch the news.
- If I want to think – I’ll outsource it to the media-outlets to do it for me. (Let’s see – this week will I decide to think like Packer, or like Murdoch?)
Jesus came to give me life and life to the full.
Come fill me up Jesus! I want to live!